We all know that exercise is important in maintaining a healthy and happy lifestyle. No matter if you love to lift weights or if you are a yoga buff, moving our bodies is a wonderful way to promote wellness while helping us look our very best. What you put into your body prior to working out is often crucial to your athletic performance. If you eat or drink the wrong things, you may find yourself feeling fatigued and unmotivated to work out. Here are five healthy drinks that can help boost your exercise performance.
- Water: Our bodies need water in order to fight fatigue, help boost our moods, flush out toxins, and increase our energy levels. Unfortunately, many of us fall short of this basic beverage. We get caught up in drinking diuretic beverages like coffee and alcohol. Prior to working out, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. How much do you need to drink every day? Take your bodyweight and divide it in half. The number you get is the total amount of water (in ounces) that you need to drink. Before you head off to the gym, make sure you have a bottle full of beneficial water. Add some lemon or lime juice to it for added flavor and a boost of vitamin C.
- Tart cherry juice: This delicious drink has become a favorite among professional athletes…and for good reason! Tart cherry juice has been shown to reduce inflammation and pain in the body due to the abundance of phytochemicals. If you like to work out at night and have a hard time calming down when you get home, drinking cherry juice can also help you relax and fall asleep! That’s because cherries are a naturally occurring source of melatonin. Just make sure the tart cherry juice you drink is pure and free from sugar and artificial flavors.
- Smoothies: These blended beverages are a simple way to get a variety of nutrients into your body help boost your work out. Try adding foods rich in protein to the mix like almonds, pecans, and peanut butter. Add citrus fruits for an energizing boost of vitamin C and a fresh, fruity flavor. Use frozen berries or add some ice cubes to help your beverage stay cool while you are working out.
- Green tea: This traditional beverage is full of catechins with have been shown to boost the metabolism and aid in weight loss. Green tea also contains caffeine which can give you a boost of energy to get through your exercise routine. You could enjoy a hot cup of green tea prior to your work out or take along a bottle of iced tea to enjoy while you are shaking your booty. If green tea tastes boring, jazz it up with some fruit juice, mint, or lemon juice.
- Green juice: The super trendy beverage is packed with nutrients to help you thrive. If you have a juicer, you can make delicious concoctions from the comfort of your own kitchen. Try juicing kale, fennel, spinach, apples, and cucumbers. Don’t have a juicer? No problem! Most natural health food stores carry bottled green juice for your convenience. Just make sure it doesn’t have any added sugar or artificial flavorings.
Disclaimer: Always consult with your local health care provider before engaging in a new supplement regimen. This article is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a licensed physician.